Since we first shared that a civilian trial is being set for the perpetrators of the terror attacks on September 11, 2001 that led to, among others, the collapse of the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York, the government has had a change of heart — and it looks like they changed their minds again.
First, they changed their minds about the location of the trial. When the news about the trial first came out, reports said that what the administration had in mind was a civilian trial to be held in New York City, just a few blocks away from where the World Trade Center once stood – this was in November of last year.
Before January ended, however, they took the New York trial plan back, citing concerns about logistics, security and cost.
On Friday, a report from The Associated Press published in the Navy Times said that the Obama administration may drop the proposal to have the terror suspects stand in a civilian trial in New York. The controversy surrounding the proposal for a civilian trial has led the administration to revert back to the use of a military tribunal for suspected mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his cohorts.
Attorney General Eric Holder reportedly said that while he still expects to see a federal trial, there is still a possibility that this will not happen. He gave the following statement in an interview with the Washington Post:
“At the end of the day, wherever this case is tried, in whatever forum, what we have to ensure is that it’s done as transparently as possible and with adherence to all the rules. If we do that, I’m not sure the location or even the forum is as important as what the world sees in that proceeding.”